CREMA – CONVENT OF ST.AUGUSTINE
The convent of St. Augustine, founded in 1439, is located in the historic center of Crema. The original complex has been progressively enlarged over the centuries with the addition of the cloisters and the refectory, frescoed by Pietro da Cemmo. In 1797, the convent was suppressed and used as a barracks until the end of World War II. After 1945, the convent passed through different uses; today it houses the Civic Museum and hosts conferences and cultural events.
Convent of St.Augustine: The Rooms
Pietro da Cemmo’s Room
This hall was once the refectory of the convent, and was extensively frescoed by Giovan Pietro da Cemmo and his students. Now a hall with more than 200 seats, it is used for conferences.
The Halls of the Museum
The museum area located on the second floor of the convent hosts a classroom of 40 seats with fixed tables, with two adjacent rooms providing an interpreting area and a secretary’s office.
The two beautiful cloisters of the convent are home to inscriptions, epigraphs and monuments from the 15th-16th Centuries (southern cloister) and the 18th-19th Centuries (northern cloister). The cloisters are used to host cultural events.